Life Insurance Awareness Month is a time to celebrate the impact of life insurance in safeguarding your family’s future, and for Millennials, that future is coming closer and closer every day. As this generation eases into adulthood, life insurance should be coming to the forefront of their financial priorities, but the statistics paint a concerning picture. As we delve deeper into the data, it becomes evident that many Millennials are missing out on valuable financial protection due to misconceptions and other financial issues.
Understanding Millennials’ Financial Concerns
According to recent surveys conducted by LIMRA for their annual Insurance Barometer Study, Millennials expressed the highest level of financial concern on 10 out of 15 financial matters. This generation, roughly defined as those born between 1981 and 1996, faces unique challenges that have shaped their financial priorities. Student loan debt and rising living costs have been hurdles for many major life events like buying a home or starting a family, let alone protecting those loved ones with life insurance coverage.
Here are some key statistics on Millennial finances:
- 47% of Millennials need more life insurance coverage to protect their families and legacies: This statistic highlights the critical gap in life insurance coverage among Millennials. Many are underinsured, leaving their loved ones vulnerable in the event of an unexpected tragedy.
- 38% of Millennials say they don’t have life insurance because it’s too expensive: This is a common misconception among Millennials. Many believe that life insurance premiums are prohibitively high, but the reality is that life insurance can be surprisingly affordable, especially for those who start at a young age.
- 8 in 10 Millennials overestimate the cost of owning life insurance: This overestimation of costs is a significant barrier to securing life insurance. Millennials should be aware that the younger and healthier they are when they purchase a policy, the lower their premiums will be.
- 30% of Millennials say they don’t have life insurance because of other financial priorities: It’s understandable that Millennials juggling various financial responsibilities might prioritize immediate needs over long-term planning. However, life insurance is a crucial part of securing their family’s financial futures.
- 10% of Millennials who don’t own life insurance mistakenly believe they wouldn’t qualify for coverage: Contrary to this misconception, life insurance providers offer a range of policies to suit different needs and circumstances. Millennials, even those with pre-existing health conditions, can often find coverage that fits their requirements.
30% of Millennials say they don’t have life insurance because of other financial priorities.
How Life Insurance Can Help Millennials
Life insurance serves as a financial safety net, providing peace of mind and protection for loved ones. Here are some key benefits Millennials should consider:
- Affordable Protection: Contrary to the misconception, life insurance can be affordable, especially when purchased at a young age. Term life insurance offers substantial coverage at a reasonable cost, while universal and permanent life policies provide essential features like living benefits and cash value.
- Financial Security: Life insurance ensures that your family will have financial support in the event of your passing. It can cover mortgage payments, educational expenses and other debts, easing the burden on your loved ones in an already difficult time.
- Legacy Preservation: If you have assets or want to leave a financial legacy for your heirs, life insurance can help preserve and pass on your wealth without the tax burden. Life insurance is a key factor in building generational wealth for your loved ones.
- Peace of Mind: Life is unpredictable, and having life insurance in place gives you the peace of mind that your family will be taken care of financially if the worst were to happen. The knowledge that your family is safe in the face of the unknown can ease your mental stress and leave space for you to tackle the other financial priorities that Millennials face.
10% of Millennials who don’t own life insurance mistakenly believe they wouldn’t qualify for coverage.
Life Insurance Awareness Month is a timely reminder for Millennials to consider the vital role that life insurance plays in securing their family’s futures. Dispelling misconceptions about cost and eligibility is essential, as is addressing the pressing need for adequate coverage. By taking action now, Millennials can relieve their financial concerns, provide their loved ones with the protection they deserve and give themselves the peace of mind to enjoy their lives ahead.
FFS Agents — share this post with your networks using our resources in the ABO.